Sunday, January 5, 2014

Cedar Plank Salmon & Tilapia

Cedar Plank Salmon & Tilapia



Review: 9/10 - these turned out great... (This was also the "easiest" thing I have cooked on the BGE yet). The cedar flavor was very subtle and the tenderness of the fish was amazing. I attempted to cook at an even 400 degrees, but I also cooked asparagus and had to keep opening the BGE lid to turn - hence, resulting in ~375 degrees. The fish took about 25 minutes to reach an internal temp of 145, but it was well worth the wait. I used a fair amount of Arthur Bryant's Fish Seasoning, which was great and definitely did not over power the fish. Purists would really enjoy the true flavor of the fish as I prepared it, but as I am not a purist, I would probably go a little heavier on the seasoning next time.

(My wife loves salmon, as do I, but unfortunately I am either allergic to it, or it gives me horrible acid reflux - either way that is why we did two different fish)

BGE Settings:
1. Hickory & Oak Lump Wood Charcoal
2. Direct Heat at 400 degrees

Ingredients:
1. Sockeye Salmon (11 oz filet)
2. Tilapia (11 oz filet)
3. Arthur Bryant's Fish Seasoning
4. Western Cedar Planks
5. EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
6. Lemon

Recipe:
1. Soak the cedar plank(s) in water for a minimum of 4 hours


2. Coat fish with a little EVOO and Arthur Bryants Fish seasoning and refrigerate


3. Let fish set at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to grilling
4. Stabilize BGE at 400 degrees (direct heat)
5. Place cedar plank on grill for about 4-5 minutes (until it starts to steam/smoke)
6. Flip the cedar plank and coat the top with EVOO
7. Place fish on cedar planks (do not flip fish during grilling) and top with slice of lemon


8. Remove fish once internal temperature reaches 145 degrees


9. Cover with foil for 10 minutes


10. Serve with favorite vegetable or sides (I like grilled asparagus)



Happy Eggin...

Chris

1 comment: